Skilled Regional (Provisional) 491 Visa
The Skilled Regional (Provisional) 491 Visa allows skilled workers to live an work in a specified regional area of Australia for up to five years. If you are eleigible, this visa provides a pathway to permanent residence through the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) 191 Visa.
Skilled Regional (Provisional) 491 Visa Eligibility
In order to be eligible for the skilled regional (provisional) 491 visa the applicant must;
- be nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area.
- nominate an occupation on the appropriate skills and have suitable skills assessment for that occupation.
- be under 45 years of age.
- achieve the required points score based on the factors in the points test.
When you are granted a 491 visa, you and your partner can;
- stay in Australia for up to five years.
- live, work and study in a specified regional area of Australia.
- travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid.
- if eligible, apply for permanent residence through the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) 191 Visa.
If you are nominated by a state or territory government
You must live, study and work in a specified regional area of Australia and comply with any residential conditions specified by the State or Territory government who sponsored you.
When you later apply for permanent residence, you will need to prove that you have spent at least three years in the deisgnated regional area.
If you are nominated by a family member
You must live, study and work in a designated area. When you apply for permanent residence, you will need to prove that you have spent the specified time in that designated area.
State and Territory government agencies decide whether to nominate you for this visa based upon their respective skills list that guide the types of skills they are looking for.
If you accept a sponsorship, the State or Territory might require you to;
- living in the nominating State or Territory for at least three years.
- advise the State or Territory of your address, both before and after you arrive in Australia.
- complete surveys and provide information as requested.
- meet any other stipulated requirements.
Each State or Territory government agency has its own process for sponsoring suitable applicants.
Who can be a sponsor?
To sponsor you, your relative must be at least 18 years of age and live in a designated area of Australia as an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
Your relative can be a;
- child ot stepchild.
- parent or step-parent.
- brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step brother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle.
- gradparent or first cousin.
Your sponsor is required to provide certain docuemnts to support their undertakings and obligations to support you and help you settle in Australia.
The 491 Visa leads to permanent residence
The 491 visa is a five-year visa. You can access permanent residence through the 191 Visa when the following criteria is met;
- you have lived, worked or studied in the designated regional area for at least three years. whilst holding a 491 Visa.
- you can show earnings of at least $53,900 per year for three financial years during the five year life of the visa to be eligible for the Permanent Residency conversion.
Skilled Visa Assessment
Our free online assessment form is quick and easy for you to complete.
We will provide free advice on your visa eligibility, visa options, and the next key steps.