Skilled Independent (189) Visa
The Skilled Independent 189 Visa gives permanent residency to points-tested skilled individuals who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by an Australian state or territory.
What does "skilled independent" mean?
This visa does not rely on sponsorship by a company, family member or state in Australia – hence it is called “skilled independent". It relies solely on the applicant’s qualifications and experience.
Skilled Independent (189) Visa Eligibility
In order to be eligible for the skilled independent 189 visa you must;
- not sponsored by an employer, family member or nominated by an Australian state.
- be under 45 years of age.
- obtain suitable skills assessment for their occupation.
- achieve a passing score set by the points test.
- meet the relevant English language criteria.
You can include the following family members in your visa application:
- your partner (married or de facto)
- yours or your partner’s dependent children
other dependent relatives.
You must meet certain health requirements which will depend on personal circumstances e.g. time spent in another country during the last five years, country of citizenship and intended activities in Australia.
Health examinations are valid for 12 months.
You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.
When you are granted a 189 visa, you and your partner can;
- stay, work and study in Australia permanently.
- enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses.
- apply for Australian citizenship (when you are eligible).
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted, unless you become an Australian citizen.
Migrate to Australia with ease with Migrate2Oz
Migrating to Australia can be a stressful move – but it doesn’t have to be. Watch our short video which follows the story of Dave as he navigates the Australian migration process, including visa applications, working in Australia, using a registered migration agent and making the big move. Along the way, you’ll learn some helpful tips and expert advice to get your own migration journey started on the right foot.
Skilled Visa Assessment
Our free online assessment form is quick and easy for you to complete.
We will provide free advice on your visa eligibility, visa options, and the next key steps.