Employer Nomination 482 Visa
If you are able to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you we could look at the Employer Nomination 482 Visa. This visa is commonly known as the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) and is simply abbreviated to TSS.
The TSS 482 Visa has the following pathways:
- They are only allowed 482 visa for up to 2 years
- Only one onshore renewal is possible, this means that after 4 years you will need to leave Australia.
- Only Occupations listed on STSOL apply
- There is no pathway to permanent residence with this option
- TSS visas granted for up to 4 years
- There are no limits on number of onshore renewals
- Occupations listed MLTSSL
- There may be a pathway to permanent residence if you work for at least 3 years on the same visa with the same employer through:
- ENS Temporary Transition (subclass 186)
- RSMS Temporary Transition (subclass 187)
This means that your 482 visa may be good for up to 4 years if you apply through the medium-term stream. Then, if your employer sponsors you, you’ll be able to meet the requirements for a permanent visa sponsored by an employer, which you can’t do with a 2-year 482 visa.
Labour agreement stream:
When a job isn’t on the TSS list, it goes into the Labour Agreement stream. The employer applies for a Labour Agreement so that they can sponsor certain jobs that are not on the list.
Skills Assessments and Work Experience Requirements
At the moment, people who want to get a TSS visa have to show that they are qualified for a list of jobs. The list of skills needed to do skills assessments is mostly for trade jobs and the job of program and project coordinator.
- TSS visa applicants will need to demonstrate 2 years of relevant work experience before they can apply.
School Fees and Giving Birth in Australia
Nomination by Employer 482 Visa holders need to know that if they have school-aged children in public schools, they may have to pay extra school fees. In the state of South Australia, for example, people with a TSS 482 visa are expected to pay a levy for each child in school. This levy can be as much as:
- Approximately $5100 per primary student per year
- Approximately $6100 per secondary student per year
Also, many people who have temporary work visas don’t know that their health insurance doesn’t cover the birth or delivery of a child in Australia. If you have a TSS 482 visa and give birth in Australia, you will have to pay the same medical fees as a foreign visitor, which will be a lot.
Pathway to Australian Permanent Residency (PR)
Permanent Australian residency is only available for the medium-term stream and not the short-term stream. For Medium-term Stream Visa:
- The pathway will be through the temporary transition ENS 186 or RSMS 187 Visa
- After working with the approved Sponsor for three years, applicants may be sponsored to apply for a Permanent Visa
Previous holders of the 457 visas may still be able to access a two-year pathway to permanent residency.
Skilled Visa Assessment
Our free online assessment form is quick and easy for you to complete.
We will provide free advice on your visa eligibility, visa options, and the next key steps.