Employer Nomination 482 Visa
If you are able to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you we could look at the Employer Nomination 482 Visa. This visa is commonly known as the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) and is simply abbreviated to TSS.
The TSS 482 Visa has the following pathways:
- Only allowed 482 visa for up to 2 years
- Only one onshore renewal possible – this means that after 4 years you will need to leave Australia.
- Occupations listed on STSOL
- No pathway to permanent residence
- TSS visas granted for up to 4 years
- No limit on number of onshore renewals
- Occupations listed MLTSSL
- There may be a pathway to permanent residence if you work for at least 3 years on the same visa with the same employer through:
- ENS Temporary Transition (subclass 186)
- RSMS Temporary Transition (subclass 187)
This means that if you are applying through the medium-term stream, your 482 visa may be valid for up to 4 years. You will then be able to meet permanent employer sponsored visa requirements, which are not available to 2-year 482 visa holders, provided your employer sponsors you.
Labour agreement stream:
The Labour Agreement stream is for where occupations are not on the TSS list. The employer applies for a Labour Agreement to allow them to sponsor specific occupations not on the list.
Skills Assessments and Work Experience Requirements
Currently, a specified list of occupations are required to provide skills assessments for the TSS visa application. The list required to do skills assessments is mainly for trade related occupations plus for the occupation of program and project coordinator.
- TSS visa applicants will need to demonstrate 2 years of relevant work experience before they can apply.
School Fees and Giving Birth in Australia
Employer Nomination 482 Visa holders need to be aware there if you have school age children enrolled in public schools, additional school fees may apply. For example, in the state of South Australia, TSS 482 visa holders are expected to pay a levy for each child in school, which can amount to:
- Approximately $5100 per primary student per year
- Approximately $6100 per secondary student per year
Also, many temporary work visa holders are unaware that your health insurance coverage does not cover delivery or birth of new-born children in Australia. If you give birth in Australia while holding a TSS 482 visa, you will have to pay medical fees applicable to a foreign visitor, which will be an expensive.
Pathway to Australian Permanent Residency (PR)
Permanent Australian residency is only available for the medium-term stream and not the short-term stream. For Medium-term Stream Visa:
- The pathway will be through the temporary transition ENS 186 or RSMS 187 Visa
- After working with the approved Sponsor for three years, applicants may be sponsored to apply for a Permanent Visa
Previous holders of the 457 visas may still be able to access a two-year pathway to permanent residency.
Skilled Visa Assessment
Our free online assessment form is quick and easy for you to complete.
We will provide free advice on your visa eligibility, visa options, and the next key steps.