Five-year Sponsored Parent (Temporary) 870 Visa
The Five-year Sponsored Parent 870 Visa gives temporary residency to parents of an eligible Australian Sponsor to stay in Australia for up to five years. This visa does not provide a pathway to permanent residency and holding this visa will not allow you to have working rights in Australia.
In order to be eligible for the Five-year Parent Visitor Visa, a parent must;
- be the biological, adoptive, or step-parent of the Australian Sponsor
- be sponsored by a person who is an approved parent sponsor
- be at least 18 years of age
- be outside Australia (unless invited in writing to apply by the Department), for at least 90 days if the applicant holds or has previously held a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa
- not have engaged in payment for visas conduct
- provide evidence of access to funds
- provide evidence of health insurance
- not have an outstanding public health debt (unless appropriate arrangements have been made to repay the debt)
- satisfy health, character, and national security requirements.
A parent only needs one child in Australia to file an application for the Five-year Subclass 870 Visa and only two parents per household can be sponsored for this visa at a time.
The Australian Sponsor must meet the following criteria:
- must satisfy the sponsor/parent relationship requirements
- be aged at least 18 years of age
- be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who has been usually resident in Australia for four years
- have met any prior sponsorship obligations
- have no adverse information unless it is reasonable to disregard the information
- have no debts to the Commonwealth or public health debts unless appropriate arrangements have been made for payment
- a minimum household income threshold (based on the income of the sponsor, or the combined income of the sponsor and their spouse/partner and/or another child of the parent)
- provide police clearances for any country they have spent more than 12 months cumulatively in during the past 10 years
Once a sponsorship application has been approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) 870 Visa. As mentioned above, this visa does not provide a pathway to permanent residency however parents will be able to re-apply only once for a second five-year visa but will have to spend at least 90 days outside Australia between the expiry date of the first visa and the grant of the second visa.
Free Online Visa Assessment
Are you ready to take the next step?
Complete our free online parent visa assessment and we will provide free advice on your visa eligibility, visa options, and the next key steps.