Five-year Sponsored Parent (Temporary) 870 Visa
With the Five-year Sponsored Parent 870 Visa, the parents of an eligible Australian Sponsor can stay in Australia for up to five years as temporary residents. This visa does not give you a way to become a permanent resident, and it does not give you the right to work in Australia.
In order to be eligible for the Five-year Parent Visitor Visa, a parent must;
- be the Australian Sponsor’s biological, adopted, or step-parent
- be sponsored by a person who is an approved parent sponsor
- be at least 18 years of age
- be outside of Australia for at least 90 days if the applicant has or has had a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. This is unless the Department writes them a letter inviting them to apply
- not have engaged in payment for visas conduct
- provide evidence of access to funds
- provide evidence of health insurance
- not have an outstanding public health debt (unless appropriate arrangements have been made to repay the debt)
- satisfy health, character, and national security requirements.
A parent can apply for the Five-year Subclass 870 Visa if they have at least one child living in Australia. Each household can only sponsor two parents at a time for this visa.
The Australian Sponsor must meet the following criteria:
- must satisfy the sponsor/parent relationship requirements
- be aged at least 18 years of age
- be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who has been usually resident in Australia for four years
- have met any prior sponsorship obligations
- have no adverse information unless it is reasonable to disregard the information
- have no debts to the Commonwealth or public health debts unless appropriate arrangements have been made for payment
- a minimum household income threshold (based on the income of the sponsor, or the combined income of the sponsor and their spouse/partner and/or another child of the parent)
- provide police clearances for any country they have spent more than 12 months cumulatively in during the past 10 years
Once a sponsorship application has been approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) 870 Visa. As mentioned above, this visa does not provide a pathway to permanent residency however parents will be able to re-apply only once for a second five-year visa but will have to spend at least 90 days outside Australia between the expiry date of the first visa and the grant of the second visa.
Free Online Visa Assessment
Are you ready to take the next step?
Complete our free online parent visa assessment and we will provide free advice on your visa eligibility, visa options, and the next key steps.